Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rocky Mountain paradise...

We went on a road trip to the so-called Switzerland of America: Ouray, Colorado. Doug grew up in small town Colorado and I spent a few weeks every childhood summer in Graubunden, Switzerland. Guess it was bound to be a good fit!

We made a stop in Pagosa Springs and admired the natural hot springs in the middle of town as well as the name choice of a local restaurant.



We spent the night in Durango, a cute but overly trendy mountain town and drove over 2 mountain passes; Molas pass (10,910 ft./3325 m) and Coal bank pass (10,640 ft./3243 m) to Silverton, an old mining town.






We than took on the heroic journey of driving "the million dollar highway" over Red mountain pass (11,018 ft./3358 m) to Ouray. I was happy to be in the passenger seat, enjoying the amazing views of this white-knuckle-ride. I am no expert in mountain driving but I think I would feel safer in a 25 people skydiving formation than I feel seeing grandpa driving his texas-sized brand new RV at serious speed on this no - guardrail road.

View of Ouray

No comments: