Monday, July 27, 2009

The other life...

Well, maybe there is more to my life than hiking.... although looking back at the last few months of entries in my blog, you wouldn't think so...;-)....

I am still working a full 40 hour week in adult acute care. I am learning a lot, not necessarily adding much to my PT skills but I'm witness to families in distress, decisions about end-of-life care, the experience and accompanied wisdom of people in their 80's and 90's, the challenges and rewards of care giving, the harsh reality of chronic illness, the effects of poor life style choices and unfortunately the reality of a health care system that is sick to the bone.... Without going into too much detail or onto a political rant about all that is wrong -seeing and defining what's not working is one thing, coming up with a solution quite another-, the last few months have definitely given me a broader perspective on the challenges we face in health care as a nation and more specifically as individuals, as a patient or a provider.....

My contract here ends a the the end of August and I'm not yet sure where I'll end up working after that. As I've limited myself to "the greater Santa Fe area", it's harder to secure a travel position and I might end up piecing together various jobs for a few months. It really is great to be in a profession where there are plenty of opportunities!!!

I am no wiser on which path my career will take in the long run...: Setting? Specialty? ...? I trust that time will tell and in the meanwhile, I'm trying to learn at least something from every different professional experience I'm encountering....

No comments: