Saturday, August 2, 2008

Change is good (I hope)...

The big news of the week? Well, after going back and forth with some recruiters and potential placements and the initial disappointment of the Santa Fe job not working out, I have accepted my first 13 week travel assignment (and have been assured of having first dibs on the Santa Fe job afterwards!). It is in rural (read RURAL) New Mexico; Alamogordo, a town of 30.000, about 3 hours south of Albuquerque and 3 hours north of El Paso, Texas. There is no mall, no Starbucks, not even a Target. Jobwise, it is about as different from my current work as it can be; I will be a generalist PT in a small community hospital with an even smaller therapy department. I interviewed with a PT and an OT; they were so incredibly nice but didn't ask questions for the sake of asking them. They basically wanted to know why the hell I would want to come and work there (worded a little more professionally but still....). I liked them; no B/S, right up front, they just wanted to know what the deal was. I think it will be a great introduction back into adult care but more importantly, it's in outdoor paradise!!!!! At 4300 feet, it's flanked by the Sacramento mountains on the east side (with peaks upto 10.000 feet) and White Sands national park on the west side. There's wonderful hiking, biking, climbing and even skiing. Climate through the fall could not be any better; comfortably warm during the day with great cooldowns at night.
I am incredibly excited about it. It will be a 13-week-dive into 'the simpler life', a great way to start of my adventure. I do wonder about the town being hoosiery and overly conservative with avid Bush supporters and gun-right-bumper stickers all over, but how bad can it be for 3 months...........

3 comments:

Griet said...

New Mexico - the land of yucca's, cactus, Indians, deserts...?

Anonymous said...

Hey Tinne, I'm reading and following your 'adventure'. The white sands PARK ... I'll like to visit, but I'm afraid you will be somewhere else when we come over.
See you over a couple of weeks, enjoy the nature and the change of job. (Mijn Engels is niet om over naar huis te schrijven laat staan om over naar de wereld te schrijven) Ciao, (Anne)mie

Anonymous said...

of course change is good. santa fe...what's the story? i will have to look up the town you are going to, sounds great. hope you will have enough time off in 13 weeks to do all the beautiful outdoor things.
love the cat stories,made me laugh...skinny does run into the furniture and walls as well.
lisa