Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election results

I am absolutely thrilled with the election results... I am happy they were so clear cut there is no doubt the majority of Americans want Obama as their president. Obama's speech last night was so powerful and inspiring..... One million people downtown Chicago, victory parties not only all over the US but over the whole world. In a strange but real way I feel privileged to have been part of this election as a brand new US citizen! There are so many times I roll my eyes whilst saying "only in the USA", whether it's about American consumerism, attitudes towards finances or life's conveniences. This time I am saying "Only in the USA" proudly without rolling my eyes...

I don't want to describe the long list of extremely challenging job responsibilities Obama is facing, but I feel, if it can be done, he is the man to tackle it!!! Hopefully he'll be able to undo the huge damage done by 8 years of Bush/Cheney, nationally as well as globally.

The other, more personal, side is that I'm happy about the results in Colorado and New Mexico. Both traditionally "red" states went democratic pretty decisively. Considering I will likely (eventually) settle down in either of those states, I guess it's good to know I'll be among my political peers!

No comments: