Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Trail or no trail

Fall is officially here. I turned my heat on... It has started to freeze mildly at night but we still have daytime temperatures of about 60. I got a call from work on Monday (my day off) saying that it was snowing up in Cloudcroft in the mountains. I had to drive up there, excited about the snow in the mountains and the start of a whole new outdoor season. Disappointment!!! It was grey and muddy and cold and wet. No appealing snow loaded trees.... No velvet landscapes,.... I decided I'm definitely NOT ready for winter!!!

Today was much more fun!! Although it didn't start out that way. I had decided to hike "three rivers trail", about half an hour north of Tulerosa in the Smokey Bear ranger district. A 6.1 mile trail along the river. I spent about an 1 1/2 hour on the trail, or let me rephrase that; about half an hour actually on the trail and another hour looking for the trail that wasn't there.... looking for markings along the washed out riverbed, between the rocks and the trees.... Little luck.




I subsequently gave up and went walking in the foothills with beautiful views of the Sierra Blanca Peak -with snow- at 12003 feet. LOVED IT!!!!


No comments: